View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 04:17 AM   #92
MrH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
The clutch gets lubed with oil from the transmission via the mainshaft and countershaft roller bearings and to a degree from oil thrown off the counter balancer gear and pinion gear. The clutch also runs in whatever oil is pooled in the sump.

Originally, apparently it was decided that that was enough oil for the clutch for its intended use. After the first season of racing, it was obvious that it was not enough for racing conditions. The Rallye bikes were having clutch problems. Amongst other things, Feliciani (Meoni's mech) and others were putting larger and larger jets inplace of the plug to help lube the clutch better from the inside (via the pushrod passage).

In July of 2003, KTM started installing a small jet .30mm. This was supposed to be retrofitted to all previous models in a Tech Bulletin (0309/38/01-E) issued in September of that year

The engineers were reluctant to install an oil jet at first, but they allowed for one in the design. As stated earlier, too much oil to the clutch causes problems also.
Thanks for that CP, that's a good answer! Don't know your background, but your answers often have an authority that makes me wonder if you have some inside info?

In the pic I've got, the only oil feed to the gearbox supplies a line that appears to have nozzles which spray directly onto the gears, there's no sign of an oil feed to the bearings, or anywhere else so I'd guessed it wasn't showing the whole story.

I'm already less than pleased with Premier, I suppose I'm going to have to go back there and try and get them to give me an oil jet, maybe I'll quote Tech Bulletin (0309/38/01-E) at them! Makes me wonder what else hasn't been done though.
MrH is offline   Reply With Quote