View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #135
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 519
PopocatÚpetl and Ermita

My California friends departed for the airport, leaving Krisztina and I at the Mexico City Hostel. She had to be an an organic farm in a few days but was fascinated by my pictures of the volcanoes to the southeast (see "Buenavista"). I borrowed a helmet from Alejandro2 and we rode up into the mountains!

The main volcano of the pair that form the mountain range is PopocatÚpetl. It's apparently still active, and forced the evacuation of tens of thousands of people from the area in 2000. Gulp.

Our home for two nights. We moved the bed into the room with the fireplace and kept the fire going all night. It's COLD up here!

In central Mexico, trucha is almost always on the menu. I heartily approve of the Mexican obsession with pescado.

We spent a day hiking in the area, including a visit to the beautiful monastery that was closed the last time I was here. It's called Ermita, and this time we were able to wander around inside.

A waterfall creates a stream that runs through the whole complex:

Inside the main building. Out every window was a beautiful view of PopocatÚpetl.

The (apparently empty) habitation of monks:

It was beautiful enough that I considered becoming a monk for almost 0.27 seconds:

Krisztina contemplated it for a few more tenths of a second:

stickfigure is offline   Reply With Quote