View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 08:36 PM   #24
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,768
27th February

Dry – Hurrah! Still cold though. I set off at about 0930 and make my way South towards Daytona. At Jeff’s suggestion, I stop off at Okefenokee State Park (great name, eh?:P) and have a tourist morning. Although it’s not raining, it’s a very dull day, so please accept my apologies, as the pics aren’t great…

Okefenokee (which means ‘Trembling Ground’ in Native American – a reference to the ‘islands’ of moss and peat which eventually become anchored by their roots and dry out to become land) covers half a million acres. For your $16 dollar entry fee, you get a half hour boat tour…

…guided by Rod, who’s a real character (seemed to know an awful lot about moonshine liquor ;)… The water seems jet black and is spookily calm...

A train ride, where I met Esme and Sally – Esme used to live in Norwich before emigrating in 1958 – it turns out I used to live within a quarter of a mile of her old house! We got the engine driver to take a picture, but he apparently had the DTs

And, finally, an excellent talk about the wildlife in the area from Phil.

Phil is a Seminole Indian, whose Indian name is unpronounceable, but probably means ‘Lectures With Snakes’.

As an aside, Seminole means ‘Outcast’ and, as the name suggests, the tribe comprised of outcasts from various other tribes. Apparently they were the only tribe never to submit to removal to reservations and never signed a treaty – one day the government apparently just agreed to leave them to it…

Overall the visit was excellent (with the exception of the tinny, distorted rendering of ‘Swanny River’ over the loudspeakers on the train : ) and, as has been my experience with all such parks the staff go out of their way to be helpful & informative. They also have some really good signs...

By 1300 I’m back on the road, heading South to Daytona. Far from improving, the weather seems to be getting colder. I go directly to the BMW dealer to pick up some service bits for the bike and see on the TV that people are stranded in snow in Georgia trying to get south for bike week! :eek

I arrive at Jeff & Keri’s and, once again, test their laundry facilities to the point of destruction with the biohazard which is the content of my left pannier…

MikeO screwed with this post 02-12-2006 at 04:28 AM
MikeO is offline   Reply With Quote