View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 08:03 PM   #32
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,660
13th March

Another good night’s sleep. I’m on the road for 0930, heading towards the Natchez Trace Parkway, a road which leads from Jackson Mississippi to Nashville, Tennessee. Like the Blue Ridge Parkway, it’s a road designed as a tourist route – commercial traffic is prohibited. I aim to join it around the town of Cherokee, on the Alabama/Mississippi border, and then ride towards Nashville, where I plan to spend tonight. I’ve programmed a route into the GPS , but I plan to be flexible...;)

I ride through pleasant rolling countryside – the roads are quiet and the weather fine, although it’s not as warm as yesterday. I divert from my route when I see a sign for Natural Bridge. The signs (as with every tourist trap in the USA ) proclaim it in grand terms…

Actually, it’s a cave with a hole in the roof :P - that’s being a little unfair, it’s quite picturesque…

An added attraction is the ‘Indian Face Rock’. If you try hard enough, you can just make it out – well worth $2.50 :

Further up the road, I stop for lunch at Haleyville, and do a bit of a double-take as I see the sign.

Apparently, Haleyville was the first place in the USA to introduce the emergency number 911 (the equivalent to dialling 999 in the UK). The town sign commemorates this fact. After the terrorist attacks of September 11th, the term 911 took on a whole new meaning, and the numbers have been over-painted on the town’s sign…

Still, at least they’ve still got Doug Kennedy to be proud of…

I continue North West until I hit the Parkway. The temperature has dropped quite dramatically – I notice that a thermometer in Colinwood shows 55º F – down from 65º earlier today at Fort Payne. I decide to stop in Lawrenceburg, which turns out to be a small industrial town, which apparently manufactures rednecks and pick-up trucks, if the local populace is anything to go by… I check into the Best Western and settle in for the evening.

MikeO screwed with this post 02-13-2006 at 11:04 AM
MikeO is offline   Reply With Quote