View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 10:33 PM   #57
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,633
Monument Valley

7th April

I sleep very well and pack the bike in bright sunshine. Today I’m going to ride to Monument Valley, one of the few sights on my ‘Must Do’ list. I decide to skip breakfast and grab an early lunch – until, that is, I find 2 GSes parked outside the splendidly named Bear Wallow Café, where I ate the night before…

They belong to Jerry (the Adv) and Jeff (the GS Lite) who are having spot of breakfast before riding down the 191 to Clifton. I’m able to tell them it’s clear of snow (they’d wanted to ride it last Saturday and had been dissuaded by Jolynn, one of the waitresses at the café. From the conditions she describes last weekend, it was good advice). After a while they set off South and I finish the breakfast I was going to skip, ably served by Jolynn and the owner, Talic (if I can read my notes correctly :P)…

The Bear Wallow is an excellent café and I can thoroughly recommend it as either a starting point or a destination for those riding the 191 .

I ride North along largely straight and fairly uninteresting roads, across the desert plains of the Navajo Reservation. The weather has cooled somewhat and some very big and threatening looking storms are on the horizon – unfortunately, the horizon I’m headed for… :…

I put the shower cap (now repaired with duct tape after the seams started to split) on the tank bag and put my wet weather gloves on. Soon I enter the edge of one of the storms – luckily the road avoids the worst of the rain, but the sudden gusts of wind create fairly hairy conditions on the wet mud which has been tracked onto the road from the dirt roads. I’m soon through the worst and the scenery starts to get more spectacular as I ride through Chinle…

I soon turn left towards Kayenta, my destination for today. Betty tells me it’s 14 miles away. Unfortunately – so is this…

…I arrive at the Best Western in the middle of a violent hailstorm. I unload the panniers, noting that the left one has let in about a cupful of water – great :. As panniers, these things make good water carriers. Despite my best efforts – and those of Jeff Smith, I’ve been unable to waterproof them, despite using more sealant than last time I sealed my bath. I guess I’ll just have to make sure I waterproof everything I put inside them, as best I can – something I never had to do with my Jesse’s and Touratech Zega bags…:mad:

Time for something to eat (nothing to drink – Indian Reservations are ‘dry’). Tomorrow I plan to ride the dirt road round Monument Valley – assuming it’s still passable after today’s rain...

MikeO screwed with this post 12-11-2010 at 01:41 PM
MikeO is offline   Reply With Quote