View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 11:38 PM   #62
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,782
12th April

After a good breakfast, I face the prospect of another 300 miles of scenic roads in perfect weather… I suppose there are worse ways of spending a Monday :…:P

The mountains to the South have snow capped peaks, although I’m still in the high desert – I take a short detour on a dirt road but, finding nothing terribly exciting up there, rejoin Highway 95 heading South East.

I reach Hog Springs, a spectacular overlook…

The river you can see supplies Lake Powell, where I crossed the bridge by the dam a few days ago.

Russell told me yesterday evening that the lake’s water level is a hundred feet low at the moment – the legacy of a continuing 10 year drought…

The road winds its way down into the valley, crossing the bridge you can see in the centre of the previous picture.

I divert into Natural Bridges National Park. These are formed by streams cutting into the soft sandstone, eventually forming bridges which, in time, will be undermined and will collapse…

…except this one – the river has actually naturally diverted away from the bridge, which should ensure its survival.

Pressing on towards Moab, where I intend to spend the night, I divert once again into the Canyonland National Park, another of the seemingly endless ranges of buttes and mesas which Utah has in abundance…

…this is ‘Wooden Shoe Arch’ (on the horizon). I ride down a 5 mile dirt road to find scenery which, anywhere else, would be spectacular – here it’s almost run of the mill…:P

I rejoin Highway 191 and, after a quick picture of Wilson Arch…

…arrive in Moab at 1630.

MikeO screwed with this post 12-11-2010 at 02:47 PM
MikeO is offline   Reply With Quote