View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 11:49 PM   #69
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,769
18th & 19th April

Since the Hampton Inn (sounds like a Carry On title :P) was exceptional value, very comfortable and had High Speed Internet access, I decide to take a couple of days off

I ride down to Helena and pick up some mail from Laura Paxton, the long suffering sister of James Weg, an Adventure Rider from South Carolina.

It's like my birthday - BMW Navigator II, a MiGSel 'speedo'GPS mount (thanks Marion ), Wrist Rest cruise control, my newly repaired 'Ultimate' earplugs, which Judge has got fixed for me (cheers Andy ), RAM mount (the wrong one :P), some business cards (dirt cheap on line & a nice way to leave my Email & Journal address) and my Canon S45 digital camera, back as good as new from Canon USA.
After thanking Laura (I'm coming back this way on Tuesday, to pick up Judge's Airhawk seat pad), I ride the very pretty 85 miles back to the hotel, dodging rainstorms.

My hotel is just down the road from the local Air National Guard (ANG) unit. ANGs are like a 'Territorial' Air Force - manned by locals who defend their state, or, more commonly these days, get deployed abroad. They have an impressive array of 'Gate Guards'

and, mounted on a revolving pylon, an F86 Sabre...

Unlike regular air forces, apparently pilots aren't required to turn up for duty at ANG units - well, not if they've got rich fathers, anyway :...

Enough aeroplanes - I return to the hotel and spend a couple of hours fitting the MiGSel mount and Wrist Rest. As I'm doing this, I'm visited by Kurt Baltrusch, riding a 1981 R80 G/S. He's seen me turning into the car park of the hotel and has come over to find out what this Brit is doing here... We have a chat as I fit the bits (he helps me re-attach the nuts to the back of the speedo, having smaller hands than my shovels :P). He has to go, and leaves me his card - he is the first recipient of my new business cards...

I spend the evening getting used to using the Navigator II.

This morning, I take the bike to bits - no pics, sorry...

Seats, side panels, tank, underscreen all come off to allow me to replace the power wire for the SPIII with that for the Navigator II. In all, the job takes about two hours and, amazingly, everything works as advertised first time :eek: :P

I then package up my camera, the GPS and its mounts and send them off to Houston, the first stage of a journey which will, eventually, get them to my mate Paul, back in Norfolk, who has bought the GPS and will (probably) sell the camera for me on EBay...

I get a text message from my Estate Agent - my tenants moved into my house today - which is another load off my mind (the agreement I have with my Estate Agent means I'm now guaranteed rent for 12 months ) - the extra money will ease the pressure a little...

South tomorrow, to pick up mail from Laura in Helena, then towards Yellowstone...