View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 10:54 PM   #73
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,631
23rd April

I’m on the road for 0930 on a beautiful clear blue morning – a change after the last few days of squalls. I’m heading south towards Riverton, the end of the planned route that Arch and I plotted in Katy – it seems an age ago.
Almost immediately I enter the Wind River Canyon. The road runs down the eastern wall and the railway down the west…

By an odd optical illusion, it seems like the river is running uphill :P. I think it’s something to do with the way the rock strata are angled down on the sides of the gorge - the river's flowing towards you in the picture above :...

It’s a beautiful morning, although still not warm.

Visibility is excellent.

I soon reach Riverton – a nondescript little town – and continue towards eastern Wyoming. I join the US136 – Gas Hills Road. At first, the road is straight and pretty boring – the landscape similar to that of New Mexico…

Soon, though, Betty tells me to turn left at a T junction – the road isn’t surfaced. What the hell…:P

It becomes apparent that the dirt road goes for some way – it’s 15 miles to the next turn…

Eventually, after a few slides but, happily, no drops – I come to asphalt again…

…at the junction with the invitingly named Poison Spider Road :eek …

Breathing a sigh of relief, I start to make a little faster progress – my respite is short-lived, however, and in 3 miles I’m back on dirt :P.

I eventually get back onto asphalt after another 12 miles, fill up with petrol (the light had been on for the last 10 miles :eek: ) and make my way to Caspar, where I check in to the Quality Inn …

MikeO screwed with this post 12-11-2010 at 02:43 PM
MikeO is offline   Reply With Quote