View Single Post
Old 05-06-2004, 12:00 AM   #77
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,782
29th April

So I got up this morning and found that there had been another flurry of snow during the night…

…bollox :( - after a great deal of shovelling (and, predictably, drying out of panniers : ), I pack the bike and set off. To be honest I was in 2 minds as to whether to leave or stay another night in Casper – the roads to the west were said to be ‘clearish’…
I rode west along Highway 20. At first, the road is merely wet, with snow covering the fields to either side. There’s no wind (thankfully) and I make reasonable progress. Soon however, things start to change. The swept / ploughed snow starts to get closer to the main carriageway and, gradually, slush starts appearing on the road surface. Soon I’m riding in wheel tracks and wondering what the HELL I’m doing out here… The conditions are too treacherous to stop and take a picture, but, take my word for it, I was STUPID to carry on…

But God looks after fools and children and, after 60 miles or so, things improve…

…and I stop to write my name in the snow…

…and note that I’ve had a little ice build-up on the front end…

…luckily, my heated jacket and gloves are behaving impeccably and the only discomfort I feel is the ache in my hands and fingers from exerting an over-tight grip on the bars (despite consciously trying to relax). I get back on and ride through Shoshoni and on to Lander. As I approach Lander, a weird thing happens. It’s now snowing very lightly (if it were raining, I’d call it spitting – since I’m not an Eskimo, I don’t have the vocabulary to accurately describe snow like that), but the road, which has been cleared of snow, is steaming. It’s a novelty to begin with, but, as the sun comes out and the evaporation increases, it becomes like a linear fog bank, just covering the road. It becomes quite hazardous, since other traffic is generally ignoring the lack of visibility and conducting blind overtakes…:(

This picture shows the mist rising in town, outside of town it was a pea-souper… Thankfully, as I join the 287 out of Lander, a brisk wind blows up and the problem, literally, clears… It’s still bloody cold, though – I stop for a late lunch at a small café in Big Sandy and have the special – something Mexican – can’t remember what, but it had enough green chillies in it to warm me through (probably for several days :P)…

Note to self: Do not lubricate ear plugs with saliva after eating chilli…

Thoroughly warmed, I ride on and by 1700 I’m back in Jackson Hole, checked into Motel 6 (where I stayed a couple of weeks ago) and, after a hot shower, I go to the Hard Drive Internet Café and type my journal. 300 miles today – but probably the hardest riding I’ve done yet – I’m knackered…

MikeO screwed with this post 09-15-2009 at 12:57 AM
MikeO is offline   Reply With Quote