View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #62
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMIL
I think it is safe to say that when hitchiking, people assume you have no money. They don't pick you up expecting you to contribute gas money. They pick you up because either they feel sorry for you, they want someone to talk to, they think you have weed you will share, or they want sexual favors.
I hadn't looked at it that way. I've often thrown the idea of hitchhiking across the country, and my plan would be to look like I'm not down and out. Though I wouldn't want to present myself as a potential theft target, I'd like to appear that I could offer a few dollars for gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourcetoSea
I wrote an article awhile back you might want to check out on budget travel, called Thru-hiking on the Cheap.
Nice write up. I like your wording regarding cigs, beer, and sodas. I tried to say the same thing, but used a lot more words.

I keep tossing around the idea of hiking the AT... A guy I might a few years back has done a number of long-term travels and he said his AT hike (actually the entire eastern coast from Cape Gaspe to Key West was the best thing he'd ever done. Like him, I think I'd go north to south.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote