View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
johnwesley OP
wanta be
johnwesley's Avatar
Joined: May 2006
Location: mena, Ar
Oddometer: 1,641
Talking 3000 miles on a klr :)

I have spent days pouting over maps and ride reports to find the best way to cross the miles that lay ahead. I wasn’t looking for the most direct route; instead I was looking for a bit of adventure mixed with historical land marks. Such things like the Rio Grande and the Pecos River. Having an interest in western movies and the history of the Wild West, I figured this could end up being a great little ride.

Today is the day that I have set to leave on a 3000 mile journey on my trusted KLR. She has been equipped to handle everything from interstate travel to single track trails, and all types of weather. Good thing too as today 2 fronts have decided to collide right over my house. When I leave It is 50 degrees and rain with heavy fog. The weather channel is full of tornado watches and general bad weather all around me. I decide to head out and hope for the best. Bad weather isn’t an end all to a trip, often it is the time that I can still away and find enjoyment in conquering the adversities. It is in this moment that I find an extreme peace. I know it sounds odd but I guess I am just twisted that way.

The weather seems to clear as I cross east thru Oklahoma. The sun begins to peak through the clouds mile after mile I can begin to see the weather clear. I enter a little town, in need of gas I stop and take a break. Right across the street is the town square, what a site. It has a nice old court house with a well manicured lawn. I am reminded why I take the small roads to travel. You will never see this type of scenery while on the interstate. Never get to really know what a state is like unless you go through its heart. This can only be found in quaint little towns along the road less traveled.

After I have taken in the air of this town I head out only to discover that I hadn’t put my ear plugs in. I try to ride on without them but there is too much wind noise. Just after I pass a state trooper I pull over to fix my problem. As I am taking my helmet I notice the trooper pulling in behind me. He had turned around to see what I was up to. I have never had a trooper be polite to me so I expected the worse. What could I have possible done wrong. I hadn’t a clue so I put on a smile and asked him how he was doing. Then the weirdest thing happened he was nice. He had pulled over to tell me that they were expecting severe weather. It should be here in about an hour. I assured him I would be gone by then head south west. I was thankful that he had taken the time to warn me of approaching danger. I was blessed that day as from then on there was nothing but sunshine and wind.
It normally takes a several hundred miles to clear my head of all the responsibilities and pressures of life. It is for this reason that I travel without music. I like to clear my head and then focus on the job at hand….nothing. Yep I like thinking about nothing is a great subject on which to spend hours with.
I have a new Jacket that I am breaking in on this trip. It is a blue Aerostich Darien with custom logos on the back and the American flag on the front. The right breast pocket is a great place to put a water bladder and I have one just for the occasion. This proves to be a handy device as I cross the dry climate of Texas. The wind in west Texas is 30 mph and heading right at me. I will end up fighting this till I get close to Kerrville. At times it feels as if I am going to be blown right off the bike. The KLR fells solid in the face of this wind thanks to and aftermarket fairing that I put on just before the trip. Previously the bike would wander badly and have head shake issues at 75 mph with wind. This is 450 dollars well spent.

As I travel along a farm road I watch sage brush and oil rigs. Then a very odd thing happens, all of a sudden I hit big sand dunes ; loose sugar sand it only lasts about a mile and then it is back to the sage and dead grass. It is about this time when I am getting a bit tired and ready for a stop and some sleep. I end up making 670 miles on the first day and that puts me at Monahans, Tx. It is a small town with a rat hole of a motel with a price of nice room. This will prove to be the most expensive room I stay in at a rate of $75 a night. After paying too much for the room I decided to check out the local Mexican food. I arrived at a place called Vickie’s Mexican restaurant. I knew better that to stop and eat, Vickie’s is more the name for a burger joint than a tex mex joint. I noticed a lot of cars in the parking lot so I decided to give it a try. It was what It looked and sounded like, an American family trying their best to cook Mexican food. I should have had a burger.

to be continued

johnwesley screwed with this post 04-17-2008 at 02:39 PM
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote