View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
I am up and out by 7:30am temps are in the low 40s this morning so I slip on the heated jacket liner and turn on the electric grips. Alright I am cozy now and ready to ride. From here I am head south to the border. Its great fun watch the landscape change under your wheels. I am on fs 1776 head toward I-10 where I join up with hwy 67. From here the scene starts to change from flat and straight to hilly and straight. The new landscape is awesome. It is mystifying to watch the mountains cropping up out of nowhere.

I am thinking about how much fun I am having and what’s to come on this ride as I hit the Rio Granda, when I see a odd shape out in the pasture. My head snaps back to look again as my brain couldn’t figure out what it is. I look closer and….

What the heck is it…it looks like a camel. I’m in Texas not Africa so I take a triple look and sure as shootin’ its a camel

After I get over this very bizarre happening, I got back on my back and continued south. I have heard a story of the military using camel in this part of Texas in days gone by, but I never figured I would see one. As I went south the roads got curvy and served up more great scenery. This land is a varied and vast land. Wide open spaces and the only people I saw were boarder guards.

I have made it to the border town of Presidio. I’ll stop here for fuel again and meet some locals who warn me of the gangs and drug runners that seem to be in an uproar. So I’ll just travel on east from here. No one would rob a guy on a KLR…Like he’d have money.

I take 170 out of Presidio and ride along the Rio. This is an absolutely awesome road. Thoughts of the wild west run rampant. I am having a blast riding along this historic river. This land is really indescribable with my limited vocabulary so I will lean on the pictures.

I travel 170 until I get to big bend state park. At the park the sign reads 10 dollars entry fee and speed limit 45 mph. Since I had limited time I decided to ride Big Bend when I had enough time to explore the park and spend some time there. From here it is off to Alpine on hwy 118. The road north is a neat road as it runs the west edge of the Texas Hill country. Wide open curves and nice elevation changes meet the riders of this road.

I pulled into Alpine in need of gas, as I was filling up a county truck pulled in behind me. I had a feeling these boys would know where to eat so I asked. They were reluctant at first but soon warmed up to the stranger. They told me the locals at Texas Fusion. I had to back track to the railroad tracks and then take a gravel road to the right for 1.5 miles and Texas fusion was on the left. Boy was I glad I asked. The food here was great. I had the Texas Taco.

So with a full tank and belly I head out on Hwy 90. It is straight and flat for the most of the way as is typical for Texas

This road is the closest thing to the Rio in this part of Texas. I am enjoying the solitude of the open road and thinking about how nice 170 was. When I came up on an awesome looking river the water was as blue as I have ever seen a river. I snatched my camera out and start taking pictures when I see a sign Pecos River it reads. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I was crossing the Pecos. I have seen a lot of movies that took place on this river. It was just surreal to be here. I saw a road that hooked back toward the river so I took it just to get a closer look. I was amazed.

From here I take 277 to 377 and head for Rock Springs. On 277 I will pass my last boarder check for the trip. I am pretty tired and would like to find a camp site or a motel, but the gps doesn’t show any. I know the animals come out at night here in Texas and the head light on the klr is like holding a candle out to light the way. I would really like to be stopped by dark if I can find a place. 377 is a nice road that is full of ranches and wild life. As I am approaching Rock Springs the deer are already starting to come out and the sun light is growing dim. I start to worry a little as the GPS shows the closest thing is a camp ground 50 miles out. By then it will be pitch black. The road through Rock Springs is clay and just one lane with traffic stopped on the other end waiting for me to come through. As I near the end of this road I see a sign. It reads Sorrells Inn. Great it appears clean on the outside. As I go in to get a room the elderly lady sitting there said “Boy you look ……” I replied “TIRED”. She nodded her head in agreement and I was handed a room for 35 dollars. I was so glad to be stopped. When I opened the door to the room this is what I found

This is the nicest room I will stay in on this trip and it will be the cheapest. If you are ever near Rock Springs then check it out. The owners are great people and are kind to the “bikers”
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote