View Single Post
Old 05-12-2004, 10:09 PM   #100
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,684
12th May

A beautiful day. I feel confident enough to put the heated jacket in the left hand “won’t be needing that for a while” pannier. I’m on the road, heading south, by 1000, and I’m in California by 1010…

I continue south, through the Redwood forests – at times the GPS loses satellite reception and I get quite cold in the shadow of these huge trees…

I ride past the “Trees of Mystery” museum : The “statues” are of Paul Bunyan, an American folk hero, and his blue ox. Mr Bunyan seems to have been indiscreet in his trousers…

I stop for brunch at Rolf’s Café in Orick – a traditional German café – which serves German food…

…in German sized portions – Being California, there is a flower as part of the garnish…

As I eat at my outside table, a bird with neon blue plumage steals sugar from the next table...

After finishing the meal (I don’t need to eat again for the whole day – maybe not tomorrow ), I carry on down the PCH.

The road wanders inland for quite long distances, often following the Eel River…

I soon leave the highway and ride down the “Avenue of Giants” – truly enormous trees – some are 300’ in height and over two thousand years old…

A few miles further down the road, I find that, even in ‘Green’ California, profit has been put in front of principle and someone has callously exploited one of these 2400yr old trees for a bit of paltry gain – unbelievably, they’ve cut a hole in one and made a road through it…

Well, you can’t pass up a photo-opportunity like that – can you? :yelrotflm

Further down the 101, in the town of Willits, I find that the local schoolbus has met an untimely end…

I’m feeling very tired, for some reason (probably not unconnected with eating a half million calorie brunch :P), so I search out a Best Western in Ukiah, paying an exorbitant $89 for the night – made worse by $8!! Of ‘Arnold Tax’ – part of Mr Schwarzenegger’s attempt to adjust California’s balance of payments…

MikeO screwed with this post 09-15-2009 at 12:15 AM Reason: Re-naming Paul Bunyan... ;-)
MikeO is offline   Reply With Quote