View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 04:37 AM   #1228
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrobins
The dealership said they stock two or three of these parts on site because of the "frequency" at which they see this failure... thats their words not mine.
I purchased my ring about a year ago/March 2007 in anticipation of a 4000 mile trip on my K12GT, concerned that should I have had the failure, well, at least I wouldn't have to 'wait for parts'. BTW, trip came and went, no failure. At that time the dealer WAS NOT stocking these rings as failures were only 2-3 (their words). Since then, I had the failure on my '07 ADV with about 1500 miles (the failure was in late January 2008 I believe, after a few minutes bike started). I took the bike in for service and the ring was replaced along with removing the security screws, for a quick and easy in the field fix, should one occur.

The main point of this reply is that BMW Daytona does indeed NOW STOCK THESE RINGS! And, it appears from the posts that most dealerships are stocking these parts, which while not any definitive statistical data point, it does imply that failures are much more than a rare occasion.

BTW, I would feel comfortable doing another 4000 mile+ trip with a BMW, any model. At least from my [jaded/limited] perspective the bike(s) is/are unequivocally the finest available.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote