Thread: The Mobius Trip
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
The plan

In a nutshell: Keep our main bikes in NYC, and buy two DRZ400's. Whenever we can coordinate a 2 week vacation, ride the DRZ's from wherever we left off, to the next destination. Cover as much remote, isolated dirt, forest service, logging roads and jeep trails as possible. Camp and cook on our own mostly, hotel when we must. Ditch the bikes in a storage unit somewhere, fly home. REPEAT!

Start with the Trans-american trail as a framework. Mobius I took us from NYC to Albuquerque, NM. Next, with extra-bits to/from arrival/storage/departure points of Albuquerque, NM and Flagstaff, AZ we added the CO & most of UT TAT in Mobius II. Mobius III crossed the Great Basin (whew!) and then some, dropping down to Reno, NV to store the bikes. For Mobius IV, we tackled the PacNW and took another 2000miles in two weeks to get ourselves to Seattle, WA. Mobius 5 was half dirt, then mostly pavement the rest of the way to Anchorage. Mobius 6 looped us up to Inuvik and back to Anchorage, 3000 miles of riding. M7 brought us back southward along the continental divide to Edmonton, AB in 2300miles. M8 followed the Canadian Rockies and the Tour of Idaho T1 route to Idaho Falls. M9 made a big loop around the Great Basin. M10 took us from Idaho Falls through MT, WY, and CO down to Denver. After some bike maintenance, M11 started in Tucson and unfortunately ended in Las Vegas at the trauma center. M12 Looped out of Las Vegas exploring the North rim and back to Vegas via southern UT. Here's what the 27,600mi cumulative M1-M12 looks like (each color = 1 day riding):

And so it goes... (read on for Mobius I, or consult the Index)

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 01:38 AM
DR. Rock is online now   Reply With Quote