120,000 miles. Ugly old grips. This is a late 2004 1150 Adventure. The OEM grips looked like those found on the 1200's.
Started with them looking like this:
Removed the hand guard, and mirror to allow access:
As can be seen the underlaying material was already somewhat exposed. I started with a new blade in the xacto knife and carefully began to peel and cut my way into the assembly,
A little further along things look like this:
The heating wires lay in small gooves, you'll want to take some time and care. I found peeling back along the body of the grip to work best. This side I worked from the barend in. At the throttle side I worked from the other direction. It was a little easier on that side to see what was going on. Also there was more adhesive on the throttle holding the rubber on so it was slower and harder on the fingers,
Alright completely peeled:
You will note this little cap that is normally molded into the grip I pulled the clutch side out and wrapped the end with tape to hold the diring down while I slipped the new grip into place.
I forgot to pick up some cheap hair spray but with two daughters in the house I had nothing to worry about on that front...
And the throttle side:
This took me about an hour. Left me with sore fingers, but new grips. I checked them for function and they still work!
Though the thicker rubber provides a bit more insulation...