Thread: The Mobius Trip
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #50
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Lost

In NYC, for some reason people are always asking us for directions. Maybe it's our wholesome non-threatening midwestern approachability.

But out here?

It's gotten a little overcast & windy.

There's no one out here...

We approach this guy in a pick-up who sticks his arm out and waves frantically:

"Does this road connect to CR-317?" (or something, I don't remember exactly).

I turn off my music, and start scrolling around the GPS. He's got a thousand questions: Are you really from New York? Did you ride all the way from there? What are you doing out here? Do you have GPS on those bikes? etc,

So while answering his questions, I figure out that he can take a second road that we passed and cut off a couple of miles and get to the highway quicker. I explain the directions and he says... "I was just on the phone with my daughter and told her I was lost out here... wait 'till I tell her I got directions from a couple from New York City!... and I was born not far from here!"

He really got a kick out of that. I wonder what cell service he was getting, though.

Probably whatever company has their towers way up on Mount Pleasant:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote