View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #10
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,517
Hmmm, tough call. And HEY, not ALL of us up here have BIG dogs!

My little dog brother, Comet, is a 20lb rough coat Jack Russell. I've had him 12yrs and he's done every outdoor activity I've done except hot air ballooning (animals hate the roar of the burners). He's the third in a line of small dogs in my family over the years up here.

The activities of course include a LOT of hiking in the back country. And yes of course we've encountered a lot of wild animals in our travels, including bears. Only one was a total surprise when it walked across the trail about 80' in front of us. Comet was at my side. The bear just stopped and we all looked at each other for awhile with me talking firmly yet calmly for all of us to keep our cool and for Comet to STAY. Eventually the bear just ambled on and Comet just walked up to where it had been and sniffed around. I actually love close encounters like this because it reminds me of how we're still pretty close to nature up here. Fun.

Comet has also been kicked once or twice by moose as he was just trying to sniff them. Poor little guy, getting punted like a little football. Luckily he was not injured.

So I think you and Chewy needn't worry too much about becoming part of the food chain as long as you use common sense and behave yourselves. Keep Chewy close or on a leash as there will be A LOT of good smells he'll want to further investigate.

If you're only going to the Arctic Circle, it'll mostly be paved roads with some dirt. IF you're thinking of going all the way to Prudhoe or up to Inuvik then that could be a LOT rougher with a lot more chance of your bike being dropped. Especially if it rains.

When are you coming? Are you gonna join us in Dawson Yukon for Solstice? Ask here or pm me if you have more questions about anything.

I'm including a few photos of my adventure buddy Comet.

I took this shot this Spring up in the Chugach Mts behind Anchorage. It's my favorite way to "walk the dog." We hike up wherever there's a path to make it a little easier on both of us. We hike up and board down, hike up and board down... and Comet gets to run for all he's worth! Fun!

Here he is "at speed!" Tough shoot trying to get a good shot boarding beside him hoping not to run him over as the trail twists and turns!

He's also my main hockey buddy these days. He goes nuts over a hockey puck as we play keep away on local rinks.
Those are the Chugach Mts right behind Anchorage in the background.

And just one more. Here we are wondering what I'm about to get myself into by putting studded tires on my KLR for the winter a couple years ago. It worked. Check out the article beginning on pg 112 in the June issue of 'RIDER' magazine on your news stands now.

Hope to see you up here, Mark and Comet

AKDuc screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 01:38 PM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote