View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #21
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Recent updates:

1) Renazco Racing Saddle. Needs no introduction, I suspect, for everyone to understand why I did this mod and what makes it so great.

It is, of course, mondo comfy and a "just right" combination of plush without being soft, giving feedback from the tires while cornering without overwhelming, and I think suede has the perfect amount of grip vs. slide on the pants.

As ever, the workmanship and fit are top notch. I've seen precious few companies that get it so consistently right. This is about my 7th Renazco Saddle (2x 950 ADV, 1x 950 SE, XR 650R, KTM 450 XC, KTM 250 XCW) and all of them have been absolutely perfect, to the point you wonder how he does it without having your bike in the garage.

2) Guard-IT Skidplate from adventure-spec in the UK.

I goofed and did not take a picture of the mounting bracket- suffice to say, it's a piece of machined billet that is pretty impressive.

Relative to the EE skidplate, this is a decided improvement, for several reasons. First, you can see the oil level in the window, which is always nice. Second, the mounting system is much nicer, and the front of the plate tucks back behind the exhaust header so that crap doesn't fill down in front of the motor. Third, the fit is more precise and correct, the EE part was OK but uninspiring. This one is very nicely done, everything fit absolutely perfectly and matched the lines "just so".

If I have a nit to pick, I'd like to see a bit more width, especially since the clutch cover is so thin. A rock could conceivably kick up and hit the bottom of the clutch as has already happened to me, although it was certainly a fluke.

This plate is about $30-40 more than the EE part, and I'd say it is worth it just based on the fit. Of the options I've tried or closely examined, it is the pick of the litter (plastic quick release plate, EE plate, Flatland plate, G-it). If they made a version with a bit more full coverage, they'd be head and shoulders ahead.

3) Superplush Suspension:

I always wind up gushing about this stuff, which I hate. It makes me sound uncritical, and given how much I bitch about suspension, that is surely not the case.

The stock suspension is OK, but has too much high-speed damping which makes it prone to deflection and harshness over bumps that generate high shaft speeds. The net effect is that the bike is tiring to ride and takes too much "management" in chop and cobble and trail junk.

This one doesn't do any of that. It's easy to keep on line, comfy, and more predictable to turn and slide. It doesn't have even one whit of that "is my front end going to stay with me" feeling, ever.

Me Likee.

From my perspective, the bike is just about done. It is now comfy, protected, and ready for just about anything I can throw at it. It has a bit over 2000 miles of trail use so far, and as yet the valves have not budged- zero adjustments in that time, far better than any of the RFS bikes I've owned. I think it's going to be perfect- reliable, comfy, fast, capable of throwing down A-pace when desired, capable of chugging and exploring when desired.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote