View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,939
If I remove the cheek pad and lift up a bit of what looks like foam insulation, I can see the outer shell.

Funny how different our perceptions of noise are. One of the helmets I tested was a Schuberth Concept C2, reportedly one of the quietest modulars ever made. But on my bike it was incredibly noisy, as if the exhaust pipe had been routed up inside the helmet next to my ear!

I didn't have a chance to check out the BMW System V helmet, as none were available locally while I was shopping. I tried the HJC CL-Max and SyMax II, the Shoei Multitec, the Nolan N102. The Nolan fit best, though I disliked the external sunshield. That's why I bought the N103.

While testing various helmets I made some changes to my bike (2007 Triumph Tiger 1050) that had a dramatic effect on perceived noise. When I installed my OE handguards the helmet noise got much louder. But when I installed SW Motech mirror extenders the noise and buffeting dropped significantly. So when it comes to helmet noise I think the helmet itself is only part of the equation.
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote