View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 06:03 AM   #1
DRZ400SK4 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
Beautiful Notre Dame Bay

Renee and I decided to take a trip northward to explore the Notre Dame Bay area of Newfoundland, this weekend. Renee was born and raised on a small island in Notre Dame Bay, but my travels to that area of the province had been limited to only two visits in my entire life. And I had never been up that way on a motorcycle. So we decided to do the big loop from Notre Dame Junction (Route 340), all the way up to Crow Head on northern-most tip of Twillingate Island, then a visit to Moreton's Harbour, and then across Route 331 to meet Route 330. We then took Route 330 all the way around the North East Shore from Gander Bay, to Musgrave Harbour, and back to Gambo. From there we would travel back to St. John's via the TCH (Route 1).

The weather forecast when we left on Satruday morning, predicted cloudy skies and rain showers, and for both days. But June weather in Newfoundland is very unpredictable, and this time the paradigm shift was in our favour. We saw nothing but sunny skies the whole weekend, although temperatures stayed in the low teens (Celsuis) for much of the trip.

A HUGE moose stepped out in front of my bike near Moreton's Harbour, but fortunately I had plenty of time to slow down and stop on the side of the road. The big beast stood about 50 feet in front of us in the middle of the road, and just stared at us for about 20 seconds, before completing his crossing and disappearing into the woods on the other side of the road. There wasn't enough time to grab the camera to prove my claims (besides I was too shit-baked to move ), but this bastard was the largest moose I have ever seen in person. From my V-Strom saddle, it looked like a GD elephant!

The total return trip racked up 1,135 kms, on my V-Strom's trip odometer. A longish distance to cover in 30 hours, but it was well worth putting in the saddle time to get better aquainted with the beautiful Twillingate Island and New World Islands areas, in particular.

Click Here To See Our Route Map

We rented a tidy and recently renovated 150 year old cottage in the community of Crow Head, on Twillingate Island (Just two minutes ride from the Crow Head lighthouse). The house literally sat right on the edge of the cliffside, with an extended deck which made you feel like you were floating in mid-air, above the sea below. And all this for only $90 per night. Amazing! I've seen lesser accomodations along the coast of Spain, which go for $1000 per night. Only in Newfoundland will you get that kind of accomodation for only ninety skins!

Here's some photos from our journey...

Crow Head lighthouse...

A well-kept fishing stage at Durell, a neighboring community to The Town of Twillingate...

Renee on our deck at 'Victoria Cottage'...

The morning view from the cottage bedroom...

The Crow Head light at dusk...

My trusty steed awaits another long day of riding...

'Melvin's' stage in Twilligate...

An iceberg off the east side of Twillingate Island...

Sunset over Notre Dame Bay...

An old stage in Twillingate Harbour...

Another Notre Dame Bay sunset shot...

The Strom at Crow Head...

'Victoria Cottage'...Our home for a day...

An old stage next to it's replacement...

Fishing boats in Twillingate harbour...

My Photos In Google Earth

DRZ400SK4 screwed with this post 06-13-2008 at 06:27 AM
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote