View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #12
wachs OP
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,790
Yeah so we head out like Brad says and it’s warm but not roasting, kinda dusty but windy and we know how to split up or ride side by side and basically, we know where we’re going. Best to just get out there quick like and not mess around too much so we didn’t shoot much of the first 100 miles or so. Brad has this road wired , even with all the camping stuff on:

Familiar stop on the way to hwy 395 is this lookout. Not manned yet but when the spring grasses all dry up it’s going to be busy.

The old Fort Rock volcano sitting out there, a nice day for sure.

We’re rallying this rocky canyon just minding our own business, trying to get as many miles done without flatting in the rocky sections and coming down the hill I see some weird shape in the middle of this usually dry water tank. Slowing down I’m talking in my helmet sayin: “ NO way, no fukin way, aw shit, no way!” As soon as I shut my bike off I hear someone saying the same thing but on the other side of the bog. Out of the sage comes these 2 fellas in camo with some kind of AK or AR and asking for beer and/or smokes. What were you thinking?!?!? We could produce a whole thread just about these fellow Oregonians but there’s so much more ahead.

Fun in places, slow and nasty in others, this route gets it done.

Almost to 395

Thought we’d check out a new section as a possible short cut.

Kinda didn’t work out - it went where hoped but after Fandango and this rock pile, I was ready for some high-speed gravel and this little diversion towards Plush.

Rode this line several years ago solo, the opposite direction in a driving rain storm. This is much better and not nearly as intimidating as I remembered it.

Of course, my tiny brain can’t remember exactly the way, we get all tangled up in some lush meadows and seasonal swamps but eventually hack our way through.

Found our way to a nice camp spot and broke out the frosties we bought in Plush.

Serious discussion in the hot spring that night. I think we did something like 230 miles of hard country to this first night’s camp. Would’ve taken more photos but the mosquitos tried to steal my camera and had to jump in the tent to keep them off.

The weather was perfect, no flats, a few wrong turns (is there such a thing?) and the bikes are drinking high desert air like a gambler with free drinks in Reno.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote