View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
Orpheus OP
more like fool sport
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Oddometer: 505
'68 CL350: the road to recovery

This past Christmas, I picked up a '68 CL350 that had been sitting out in the snow in a Wisconsin yard. While I don't live in Wisconsin currently, I do own a house there, which is where my CL350 has been sitting for the past six months or so.

When I got the CL350... well I wouldn't say it was in terrible shape, but it had been neglected. The electric starter is shot as far as I can tell, and the kickstarter had an awful lot of trouble. A friend of my father managed to get it running for about three seconds, but it died very quickly.

Back in California, I decided to buy a CB350 Frankenbike to work on in preparation for working on the CL350. The logic holds up, really!

Moments after buying it, I had its next owner lined up: my ex-.
A few weeks ago, I managed to work out a few of the niggling problems and handed the bike off to her with mild trepidation (it had been a while since she took the MSF, and I strongly encouraged her to take it again). It's working out well so far though (BTW, she does have more gear than this!)




But enough about the past: on to the future! Back in Wisconsin, a box of replacement parts have been waiting for me. My father cleared out a great workspace for me. Quite a nice change from my limited space in California! My goals on this trip were to deal with the terrible rust in the gas tank and to venture into the loathsome inner workings of the carbs.




Nice workspace for a change!


The Fonz looks on in approval.


I disassembled the carbs and what did I find? A load of crap.




Varnish everywhere, a blocked pilot jet, a torn slide diaphragm (with cracked temp repair from a previous owner) and a smashed in float. How the hell does a float even get damaged like that? I have to imagine someone took it out and hit it with a shoe.

Nice battery tray. There wasn't an acid drip hose in sight.


New rectifier on the left, old on the right.


Yay.


So basically, I accomplished one thing: hooking up a new rectifier. Well, the tank was fixed after I left. I ordered replacement floats, gaskets, and diaphragms but they all arrived in Wisconsin when I was chillin' in Orléans. I did clean out almost all of the varnish and I blasted the jets with an air compressor at 120 psi, so hopefully the next visit will actually result in a running motorcycle.

I POR-15ed the tank as well after these pics were taken, but I ran into a slight problem during prep: the crossover pipes at the bottom of the tank were plugged with rust. I got one clear, but the other was rock solid. Not good. After I left, my father took an e-string from a guitar and used it as a drill bit to slowly wear away the rust in the blocked pipe. After about 15 minutes of work, he managed to clear a passage. He then dried out the tank thoroughly (it had already been marine cleaned/etched) and applied the POR-15 sealant. Thankfully that's dealt with now, because gee whiz... that was a rust monster.

On the cosmetic side of things, I looked at the front fender again and I don't think I necessarily need to replace it. However, I may want to do a CB350G front wheel and brake conversion. Hopefully I'll be able to work on the bike again before Christmas. Next steps: replacing the carb inner bits, replacing the spark plug wires, and attaching my UNI foam filters in place of the gargantuan stock filters.

I should probably pull that battery tray and make it... not terrible, too.
__________________
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100 - I'll turn this baby into an adventure bike yet, even if it kills me (probably will).
1969 Honda CL350K1 Scrambler - On the road to recovery!
1966 Honda CL160 - Durrr not sure about this one yet.

Orpheus screwed with this post 07-02-2008 at 07:20 AM
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote