View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
gunnr OP
optimsm

Oddometer: 290
KLR's Ride To Moon Rocks

We did this trip the last weekend of June, figured I better get it posted. The trip started when my son said he was going up to Naches for NAXJA NWF, it's a Jeep thing. There is a rock crawling area called Moon Rocks and Funny Rocks. I have never been to the area so decided to plan a ride and check things out. I checked the maps, downloaded some tracks, read a few ride reports and put together some kind of plan. I called the FS and they said the higher areas were still blocked by snow. That would blow the loops I wanted to do, but figurered we would just go see anyway. Three of us, Martin and Gordon, myself rode section 3 of the OBDR last year. Last month a friend Jim calls and asks do I still have a motorcycle? Without much persuasion, he goes and buys a new KLR....600 miles on the clock so far. Another KLR joins the posse.

Martin showing off the new carpet! Homemade version of a sheepskin seat cover. He refers to us as Dorksporters, we don't quite fit the cruiser or sport biker image. Probably a KLR thing! Got some laughs over that on this trip and a good one at the end!

Locked and loaded. Martin, Me, Gordon and Jim. Back in 91 we were all working together, that summer we rode for whatever reason the Seattle to Portland bike ride. Thats 200 miles on a bicycle! This should be more fun!

Took off and hit the gravel up the hill towards Larch Mt.

Again my original options up through the Gifford Pinchot National Forest to Packwood were altered becuse of the late snow this year. The alternative is to slab it, you can get there N on I-5 and them East on 12 or East on 14 and N on 97 whichs cuts through the The Yakima Indian Res, so not too many options for backroads. Oh well we'll find a new route for awhile, just stay off the pavement. We dropped over to Bear Praire and down to the Washougal River road to Dougan Falls. Up the road past the falls we see a sign, "Logging operation ahead cables in road" Danger, blah, blah. We blast past and stop shortly at a bridge. No cables in the road. We could hear the equipment and what sounded like a cable pulling through the trees. After some thought we look up and see it bouncing above us. Not a good place to be.

On over to Stevenson and up to Carson. A month ago you couldn't get through here.

Bear Creek road.

66 Road, this skirts the east side of the lava beds. We were here a month ago, still snow and not open all the way through to the 60 rd.

On to Trout Lake.

Mt Adams.

We headed East towards Glenwood but took some roads that cut over to Laurel and the Glenwood -BZ corners highway.

Up Fisher hill road, we pretty much came face to face with a full log truck heading down. Adrenaline rushes are good on a KLR.
Get out the map. Seems like using a map makes it more interesting. We were basically picking roads as we went.

We turned off onto Wackiukus Heights road. Might be dusty.

Says Martin, "I feel guilty taking time off work when there is so much going on". Says Gordon, "What are you, stupid?"

Dropped down to the Klickitat River.

Saw these ears off to my right.

Crossed the river and head up the other side towards Goldendale.

No pavement here.

It's 3:30, lets eat and think about what to do.

Originally, I thought about heading East and NE on side roads towards Sunnyside and up to Yakima and Ellensburg, but somehow we decided to just bite it and hit the pavement to Yakima. Let's just get up to Naches area and find somewhere to camp.

This is alot of pavement and it's hot out. Finally drop down towards Yakima.

A few hours later we are at Whistlin Jacks. Buy some beverage and head up to camp on the Little Naches River.

We find the NAXJA camp, Jeep Cherokees all over.

Talked to Dustin, met a few Naxja guys and went to bed.

about 265 miles,

More.........
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote