View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 06:00 AM   #6
MymoJoe OP
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,860
now where was I

I enjoyed the big bike in the sand, steer it with the throttle I kept telling myself. I was expecting it to be a bit harder based on a few recent reports of others on 950/990's, but I had a blast in the sand - I do like sand however.

After Rainbow Valley we headed south down the Stuart Hwy and cut East across the Huge River Road to jump on the old Ghan Road, now Greg and I raced the Finke Desert Race back in 2001 so it was a bit of a trip down memory lane and a chance to see the sites we never noticed during the race........ [IMG][/IMG] this picture is of Greg and I on the Finke track, we followed the race track for a few k's - bit different to the last time we were there...... our bikes where a fair bit lighter back then...

We had a good run down to Finke and I did the Finke finish line jump just for shits and giggles... [IMG][/IMG]

Then headed for Mt Dare for the night for fuel, water and the last supper.... so to speak.

[IMG][/IMG]

Greg noticed his front tire was on the rim back wards - directional tyres the Dunny 606. He was pissed off as having to change a perfectly good tyre and after the bike shop charged us full mechanics rates to fit them..... did I tell you I was charged 2hrs labour to fit to tyres and clean my Air filter pod (pre filter only)... Ok Ok I will let it go soon... [IMG][/IMG]

Next morning we packed up with excitment of hitting the Desert - I had a crook back so downed some pain killers and zipped to Dailhousie Springs for a soak, I am sure this helped... not sure if the old dear who watched me strip down to my banana hammocks will get over the view!!!!!

We headed into the Desert propper after the dip and stopped at Purnie Bore for lunch and to let the air down a bit in the tyres. We poured some fuel from our jerry cans into the main tanks and gave our empty fuel drums to a couple of lucky 4x4errs... Started off a bit tentitive with 62 Ltrs of fuel and 16ltrs of water, food and camping gear.. as it turns out I was impressed how the big orange harry also nicked named the super tanker... was handling good considering. And the upside is it was only going to get lighter...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"

MymoJoe screwed with this post 07-17-2008 at 06:21 PM
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote