View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #10
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,697
Day 2 Sunday, May 14, 2006 301 Miles

Day 2 – Sunday, May 14, 2006 301 Miles

Google Map of the days route.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=lost+hills+ca&daddr=potrero+ca&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=57.947788,112.5&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=7

We packed up and hit the road wanting to make some time. Kind of an uneventful day just some slab riding. The good news was we were on vacation on bikes and about to ride into Mexico! We rode from Lost Hills CA to Potrero CA near the border. Our plan was to cross the border at Tecate. We made good time and debated on crossing late that afternoon but opted to stay state side and cross early next morning. We set up camp at Potrero County park and enjoyed the evening. Tomorrow we cross into another Country!

Wifes Log
Mother’s Day. Picked up camp and headed for a hearty All American breakfast, the Golden Arches – McDonalds. We drove until Dad could not take anymore. We were going to stop for coffee right after the Grape Vine. We told Dad that there is an exit soon after the Grape Vine with a Starbucks. Well, when we got on the other side of the Grape Vine none of the exits looked familiar. We ended up trying an exit and drove all around for a Starbucks – no luck. We finally stopped and found a Starbucks around 1 ish. It was perfect. I was able to take my heel out of the boots and rest them and we needed to get gas. We made it to San Diego in no time. We debated weather to go ahead and cross the boarder or not. We decided not to – our Mexican insurance did not kick in until the 15th. We camped in a State Park not too far from Tecate, Mexico, our boarder crossing point. Our camp spot cost $12.00. We ate dinner at some supposedly good Mexican Restaurant. It was not good; in fact it was a sad excuse for Mexican food. We headed back to camp and basically just hung out and took a nap. We took showers and then the mosquitoes started to appear. So I hid in the tent once I got out of the shower. We decided we should try and go to bed early so we can wake up early and cross the boarder. None of us knew what this would be like on Motorcycles.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 07-29-2008 at 06:38 PM
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote