View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,322
Day 2

I made it from my camp site near Farmington NM to Paonia, CO. This was a pretty short ride, just a few hundred miles.
Here is a shot of the Navajo Dam

If you ever get the chance to ride from Durango to Ouray, CO on US 550, AKA the Million Dollar Highway then do it. It is a beautiful ride with lots of curves and great views. I must warn you, if you are afraid of heights, there are some large stretches of highway with no guardrail. If you fall, it will be a Long Way Down.

I stopped for lunch in Ouray, a nice little town in the mountains.

I snapped a shot of the restaurant and the meal but for some reason they did not come out.
After lunch I headed up the road to Paonia. Not much to mention except the final leg of the journey from US50 near the Blue Mesa Reservoir to Paonia is a wonderful road, CO hwy 92. Lots of wonderful views, nice curves, and more drop offs with no Armco barrier, so be careful. Unfortunately only one pic came out. Time for a new camera I guess.

I arrived at the rally and setup camp. This is the first time I attended this rally and it was a wonderful time. The nice lawn made camping good, lots of food, beverage (beer) and entertainment. I made some new friends and had a good time.

Top of the Rockies is a good party. I know some of you were there, I saw several ADV stickers while looking at the collection of bikes.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin screwed with this post 08-03-2008 at 01:02 PM
AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote