View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
Day 3

Friday was a good day. Instead of going on the group rides or canned entertainment of the rally I decided to go looking around on my own. I enjoy riding by myself because I can stop and take pictures, or look at sights and not worry about holding up a group. I rode North out of Paonia to Carbondale, then through Aspin over Independence Pass, which is a beautiful ride. The road had some chipseal and gravel on it west of the summit, but the east side was nice blacktop. Breathtaking views that my pictures do not adequately capture, but here is what I saw. The beauty of this area reminds me of when I lived in Bavaria in the mid 90s, and used to travel to the Austrian Alps to Ski.
Views from Carbondale, and over Independence Pass.

I made a big loop back to Paoina through Monarch Pass. Unfortunately it was raining so the view was not very good at Monarch Pass. I will have to try again next time. I passed through Gunnison and rode 92 through black canyon again.
It was a great day of riding and beautiful sights even if I did get wet.

I have not mentioned it but I have been rained on and had water in my boots every day of this ride. My leather pants go inside my boots so as it rains my boots fill up. In the Southwest this time of year a little rain is expected. I usually ride through it, and then dry off quickly. I usually donít bother to put my rain gear on but I may have to rethink this, or get some vented boots with drain holes.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote