View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #13
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,317
Day 5

Sunday morning it was time to head home. I packed up and was on the road by 0930. Remember I am not a morning person so that is early for me.
My goal was to make to home in two days, and see some nice stuff along the way. So often for me the trip homes turns into nothing more than a mission to get home as fast as possible, and I miss out on part of the trip. This time I decided I would savor the trip home and enjoy it as much as every other day of the trip. I planned a route home through Moab and Monument Valley. I also called the wife and got a hotel room in Flagstaff due to severe weather in AZ during the monsoon season. I know, I wussed out on the last night, but a bed would feel good.

So from the rally to I 70 to Utah was pretty boring. It started to get good when I got off the interstate at the Cisco exit. I made my way on US6 to Utah 128 south.

First stop was at the Dewey Bridge, which was burnt down recently by a fire started by campers. A shame, I hope they get it restored soon.

South to Moab the road goes along the Colorado river, winding through beautiful red mesas. I stopped several times to take pictures. This truly is beautiful country. I would like to spend a few days in this area exploring the numerous dirt roads and nation park land. Here are some shots along 128.

I stopped for lunch in Moab, again no food photo, then headed south. It is beautiful though there in places, and boring desert in other places. I did start to catch up to some rain and I decided to put my rain gear on. I have had water in my boots every day, so I put on my rain paints and had the jacket handy.

Here are some shots down through Utah towards Arizona.

Mexican Hat

Monument Valley

I like this one. FYYFF.

This is my favorite. I will go back with a good camera some day.

Into AZ and to flagstaff is uneventful, and not the most beautiful strip of road in the world. It is hot and fast to flagstaff.
I arrive in flagstaff and call the wife to find out where my Hotel is, she made the reservation the day before. She gives me directions, we joke that she is my On Star.

I arrive at the hotel and unpack.

It was windy so I stashed the bike in the stairwell safe from any storms.

I am ready for a real bed, I have a beer, eat a MRE, and go to bed.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin screwed with this post 08-09-2008 at 11:46 AM
AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote