View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #39
rider1150gsadv OP
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,912
Laugh July 4th

Happy B'day USA!

What better way to start the day at Walmart for a supply run. After all John needed oil for the Tiger and I needed a drill and bits, bolts and lubricant for a squeaky rear end. At the time I suspected that the lower mounting bolt for the rear shock was squeeking.....More on that a tad later...

I found a small 4 AA battery powered thingy and small bolts to properly fixify the right pannier, which I did a little later that week.
We started our ride amids similar idyllic looking scenery we both had enjoyed so much the previous day.

We started by going around, or in my case through , a downed tree here and there...I did come out wearing a few branches...

A bit of gravel....

Nice single track with trees lining the sides...

So cool looking and the temps were right too....

And than the really, really, really bad part of Warloop Road...

Warloop road is a name that should live in infamy as it all started so cool, going from a single lane paved road, to a tree lined dual track road, followed by a stretch of single track, followed by what may as well the the Laurentian Abyss with rocks strewn about.....
I wish I had pics with a reference of some sort in it as this, John was to tired to model......
As it turned out, this was the nastiest road of the entire trip including Colorado...

John and I took a bit of a rest when we got a visitor....

This young man was riding a more appropriate bike for this "road".
His eyes bulged a bit when he saw us down there and he asked how we made it down. Well, I said that gravity did most of it and this was true to some extent. Neither John or I dumped our bikes here, but we both lost 2 pounds each doing it. Later I met up with some Aussie's who dumped their DR 650's about 9 times.....

Anyway, the young man went UP the hill but not before dropping his bike at the drop-off where the pavement had disappeared. We heard a small plea for help and John and I ambled/ crawled back up to help out the intrepid rider. No ATGATT either, but when you're 12 or so you bounce better....

After drinking all our remaining water, we rode toward a small convenience store, where a few locals were wondering about our sanity after telling our 'tale of lore and Warloop'...I should have worn a peg-leg and eye patch...

This was also the day I had earlier played with the rebound on my suspension and found it was waaaay to hard. I attribute these adjustments in keeping the big pig from falling at the battle of Warloop.

John made a cool video of my squeaky decent into the Abyss. It will show how steep and rough it really is....
The squeak will be explained a bit later....

The end of Warloop...

Another watercrossing...

Camping that night was done at a very neat and very cheap place worthy of Advriders...... At $ 3,= a night P/P, it was the cheapest place of the trip and it had the best shower to boot!!

I think we ate all our food that night....

Boy did we catch some that night...

To be Cont'd....
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote