View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #68
rider1150gsadv OP
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,911
Bluhduh Sunday July 6th..... a black day....

So we had checked into the Best Western the previous night, where a desk clerk couldn't help herself commenting on the stink we emitted .
To be honest, we did need a bath and a round of laundry. After having done all that, we gave the bikes some much needed attention too and this is where it all went downhill for me.

Walking back from the breakfast area, I noticed that the rear wheel on my bike was tilted sideways a few degrees. I thought that the FD bearing had given out . It turned out to be the FD pivot bearings. A few months prior to the trip I had replaced the OEM bearings with the bushings from Rubberchicken garage, in an attempt to avoid this very problem haunting me in the middle of a trip...

John just needed a minor repair on his chain oiler...

I on the other hand had to deal with the more serious issue of the pivot bearings...
The squeak that was present for a while turned out to be those bronze bushings that were supposed to be better. One would think that I would have seen this earlier, but I didn't. I think that the severe wear and tear really happened during the last couple hundred miles that were rough (Warloop ) and fast. I just never felt anything in the rear of the bike untill we were in OK.
To their credit, JL engineering did send me replacements overnight, but it still took till Tuesday to get them, as of course this stuff happens on a Sunday...

FD off the swing arm..

The wrecked bushings..Not visible in the pics is that they are out of round.

This was the first time in over 100K miles I had an issue with a bike. Never ever even had as much as a flat tire. I guess it was my time to meet Murphy, although I could have done without it....

Sadly it was a crucial turning point for my riding partner, as he was running out of time.......John went to see some family for a day, as hanging around isn't what either of us wanted to do...
At least I had booze , stogies and a pool to sit by....

The only bright note was that later that day, some fellow Flatistan Advriders showed up to keep me company!!
They were on the TAT also and we compared some notes...

Flatistan inmates...

To be Cont'd...
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote