View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 02:48 AM   #14
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,576
Reader's Digest version: Neither.

Explanation: (Disclaimer - have never done what you are preposing to do.) Bought my pre-'08 KLR from someone just returning from a Tierra Del Fuego/Alaska ride. 9 months and 35K miles I think. Bought it virtually sight unseen. First question when we met was "How do you take 9 months off to go for a ride?" Followed by "Are there any openings?" I would take that same bike and do the same trip in a heartbeat if I had the time.

You have 27 months. You're willing to throw a bike away and buy an Enfield to get back so I assume for you this is about the ride and not about the bike.

Consider a pre-'08. Take the 27 months and become familiar with the bike. Use the funds that would have bought brand new and set it up with whatever accessories you think you'll need - (luggage, handguards, larger front disc and doo for example.)

Ride it. Ride it some more. Go on some ugly roads. Pick it up once and a while. Ride it some more. Make some adjustments now and then. Ride it some more. Fix broken things. Ride some more.

Most of all, take your time and enjoy your trip.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote