View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 04:45 AM   #12
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Pass the Turkish Delight Please

Whenever Burkhard from Bamburg comes over we go for a ride. Esref, who spends some of the year in Switzerland, also happened to be in town too. The day started off with a body fuelling session at a lokanta,

Lokantas serve traditional Turkish food such as lamb, beef, chicken or vegetarian casseroles, mouth-watering salads, beans, rice and other delights all of which can be washed down with bucketfuls of tea, water or whatever you like. Good food at good prices.

We decided to head to Golhisar, a bustling medium sized university town. On the edge of the town were some old ruins we wanted to see. First we had to get there so into the woods we went,

past some strange looking trees,

and stunning views,

After a few hours it was time for more grub. We settled for freshly grilled chicken,

Bellies full we decided to go sightseeing eventually pulling up to an ancient arena,

Oh my, the hairs on my neck adopted the vertical. You could feel the history. Imaginary voices wafted along on the cool evening breeze. We enjoyed a few moments of peace and quiet before Arif turned up on his ironless steed.

Arif was twelve. Whisper, his pony was three. They fit each other like a hand in a glove. We later went up a rocky track to another set of ruins, kicking up rocks and dust as we struggled for grip. Arif galloped by with nary a puff of dust from Whisper's hooves. We left this admirable young man and his adorable pony and searched for somewhere to cool off and stay overnight

Burkhard searching!!

The freedom to just pull over in a forest and pitch camp after a day of chewing dirt is one of the many things I love about this country. We set off again early the next morning.........................

Cheers,

Dickyb

Dickyb screwed with this post 02-06-2009 at 02:24 PM
Dickyb is offline   Reply With Quote