View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #63
RTL
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by klm4755
Wallowa,
The O-rings were from manufacture DID and were from spare master links (what I had available). I do not know their material composition. I assume some type of rubber compound and that all vendors O-rings would be fairly material consistant. If you can tell me a (simple) way to test the spare O-ring to determine it's compound let me know and/or perhaps other members will chime in.
Keithm
This is what I think most motorcycle chain o-rings are made of:

Buna-N (Nitrile) O-Rings

Description:
Standard Nitrile is also known as Buna-N. Excellent resistance to petroleum-based oils and fuels, water and alcohols. Nitrile also has good resistance to acids and bases, except those with a strong oxidizing effect.
Limitations: Avoid highly polar solvents (Acetone, MEK, etc.) and direct exposure to ozone and sunlight.
Chemistry: Copolymer of butadiene and acrylonitrile. By varying the acrylonitrile content, elastomers with improved oil/fuel swell or with improved low-temperature performance can be achieved. Specialty versions of carboxylated high-acrylonitrile butadiene copolymers (XNBR) provide improved abrasion resistance. And hydrogenated versions of these copolymers (HNBR) provide improve chemical and ozone resistance elastomers.
Trade Names: CHEMIGUM , HYCAR , PARACRIL , PERBUNAN
ASTM D1418 Designation: NBR, XNBR, HNBR
ASTM D2000/SAE J200 Type, Class: BF, BG, BK, CH
Temperature Range: 55 to 120C (65 to 248F)
Typical Uses: Ion Implant, PVD

Compound# ColorHardness
Shore A
Tensile
Mpa (Psi)
Elongation %22Hr C/S
@ 100C
Low TempHigh Temp
B1000Black7015.0 (2,150)4001040C(40F)120C(248F)
* Buna-N is available in a wide range of Durometers and Colors,
as well as many compound variations designed to meet specific applications.
RTL is offline   Reply With Quote