View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #33
RTW Motorcycling OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by =o&o>
You have provided a lot of useful insight so far. Thank you RTW-

- Could you post close-up pictures of your crash bars and bash plate? Brief comments on how they could be better would be appreciated.

- What windscreens have you tried, and what did you like or dislike about each?

- How is the stock gearing on the F8GS for adventure use (ie: is 1st low enough for some knarly trails with 6th high enough for making time on the highway without winding the engine too tight - comparing to the KLR650)?
Hey O,

Pics – I’ll have a quick look and post a couple when I find some good ones.

Windscreen – same old refrain, but there was nothing, I mean nothing for the bike in regards to windscreens, So I can't be of much help. An incredibly helpful bike shop helped me pick out a Kappa screen that fit an ST and I cut the bottom out to match the headlight curvature. There were no side tabs on the screen so I had to mount it onto the old screen for stability. That will tell you how little the stock screen does when you look through two pieces of plastic the whole time and don’t even notice it. The last piece was a laminar lip that I had for my Strom, it made a big difference to get the wind off my face and onto the top of my helmet. I'm a big fan of the laminar lip as I would take it off for long off road sections to improve your visibility, and then throw it back on for long highway sections. More flexibility than just a plain highway screen.

Of course by now I’m sure that there are a hundred options as they clamour to provide 'middle of the spectrum' products. Some general comments are, you will get a fair bit of wind no matter what you do, especially if you are used to a big bike that has a big fairing. There are many reasons for this, but you don’t have a lot of room to work with, the screen is very close to the handlebars when you turn them to the max. With my laminar lip on, the handlebars would press against it at their max turning radius. What this means, is the the standard profile is quite narrow, and therefore most setups will allow a bit of wind to come around. Lips, flares, etc. are on their way to make this better, but this is a compromise that you need to put up with if you are want to ride offroad.

Stock gearing - I have heard a couple of people stating that 1st gear is not quite low enough, I didn't notice it so it might be being a bit picky. It was absolutely fine for me, didn't even notice. That is one of the downsides of the internet, there are quite a few "known generalizations" that circulate enough that everyone begins to repeat them and they quickly become "known fact". If you don't read about it, you would likely never notice. For highway use, 6th is perfectly fine and you can run at much higher speeds without thinking twice about it. Yes, the rpm will get up there a bit and the gas mileage will fall, but you will not feel like you are flogging the poor thing like when you wind up your KLR for long periods. As an example, I would ride at 140 if I was trying to make a border and didn't all feel that the bike was the limiting factor, I more so felt the additional wind was the limiting factor, ie. very bearable but for long distance the additional wind and noise begins to wear you down. I'm not sure I ever had the KLR at 140 except maybe to pass some psycho trucker.
That probably is one of the biggest selling points of this bike, the 800 really is the perfect compromise for engine size to enable you to do offroad and highway riding.

RTW Motorcycling screwed with this post 08-26-2008 at 11:58 AM
RTW Motorcycling is offline   Reply With Quote