View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #12
mrudy
"Let's Ride"

Oddometer: 277
Day 2 supplemental

Well, looks like Marty posted day 2. So here's my take.

Night 1 was spent at Hells Gate State Park between Lewiston and Asotin, by the way.

I'm running with the Kolpin fuel/water cells as I mentioned earlier, but Marty and Tom are using Touratech 2liter jugs mounted to their Gobi's. I don't know if we've got any pictures of their set up, but it was rather distressing watching them try to fill these buggers with petrol using a high flow station nozzle and a funnel. Petrol was everywhere. Not to mention the TT jugs bulge a bit and when they went to put them into the brackets, they oozed fuel. Sum bitch.

Crossing into Oregon--say, Marty, you forgot to mention Oregon in the title.

After leaving the canyon and getting up onto the ridge, it was beautiful, high altitude prairie land with trees. Right out of a scene in the history books.

After lunch at Buckhorn Overlook (which was mindblowing), we got on a really cool road (the one with the barbed wire gates we had to open/close). And I got railing really good, lofting the front wheel over small rises in the road, and doing some jumps on the dry mud puddles. Wahoo fun!

Uh oh! something doesn't look right.

Too much stress.

Bent her pretty good. I want to stress that I don't fault the BlackDog CW tail rack one bit. The tailrack is a good piece of hardware and for its intended usage, can do some amazing things. BUT, loading up 26+ pounds of deadweight at a height of about 12 inches on the very tippy end of this thing, about 6 inches from the nearest mounting bolts, is just too much to ask. In my set up, I should have added some strengthening bar stock or angle iron to stiffen the rack. But, I'm just lazy that way.

No worries, we just straightened it out the best we could, add some straps, and Tom gives it a go on the 950 riding backwards, so all is good.

Mighty town of Imnaha. Great folks inside. Be sure to stop in and say howdy, although we hear the owners want to sell the place and retire. Hope the new owners will be as welcoming to ADV riders as they were.

Inmate alert!!! We were at Fish Weir and in rolls a Beemer coming back from a BMOW Rally. Yeah, you just keep your distance from these purdy KTMs...

Camped at Woodhead Park operated by Idaho Power.
05 KTM 450 EXC GONE
Pics at http://www.mrudy.smugmug.com

mrudy screwed with this post 08-27-2008 at 07:29 AM
mrudy is offline   Reply With Quote