View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 08:36 AM   #19
bikerlt
Banned

Oddometer: 60
I think the 'thou shalt not' approach to pressure washing is a bit much. My example should encourage anyone to know their machine better, not to swear of pressure washing. Heck, any motorcycle is quite intentionally designed to tolerate some water. Highway speeds in rain? And I'm not talking 4.0gpm @4000psi -- if you're washing your motorcycle with a tool that can actually strip paint off of the tank, then you're probably beyond reasoning with anyway. DIY (coin) car washes are nowhere near that (and I hope that's what we're all talking about here).

It comes down to balancing needs. If my bike is just laden with crap from a sloppy dirt road I don't think twice about checking into a DIY car wash along the way to get rid of caked abrasive grit. I'm confident enough to know what to avoid. Instruments, carbs, bearings, etc. What did the clutch splines in was an anomaly (an expensive one), but it was a result of my lack of knowledge. I should have known the engine better before I applied water in a way that the designers couldn't anticipate. And the pressure was certainly enough to reach the splines when directed at the engine from behind. If AliBaba is correct, that all airheads are like my own in this regard, go take a look up under your transmission next chance you get.

bikerlt screwed with this post 08-27-2008 at 08:51 AM
bikerlt is offline   Reply With Quote