Thread: Bmw F800gs Q&A
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 09:45 AM   #59
RTW Motorcycling OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR5ESU
Hi RTW, thanks again for answering all the questions, many of the questions I had have been asked by others already. I have thousands of questions regarding the trip but I don't want to post "off topic"!.
Reading that someone has done such a trip on the F800GS makes the dream a much more feasible one! And it takes away any doubts I had about whether I had bought the right bike or not.

Thanks for the pic (did get to see any "guanacos" around there? They normally stay close to the route around that area). I have traveled (with my family) from the bottom of Argentina to the top every year since I was born for about 19 years, sometimes in winter too as you did, so I know the "Ruta 3" quite well. I enjoy it so much that the last time I went back home I took 2 out of the 3 weeks I had to travel north by car.

I wonder whether you suffered/enjoyed Route 3 all the way through the desertic Eastern Patagonia or you took the more mountainous and picturesque Route 40. As I mentioned in other forum, seeing so many riders arrive to Ushuaia after thousands of miles on the bike was a great factor in deciding to buy a bike like the F800GS and I am sure you are helping a lot of people decide for it too!

Ernesto

Hey Ernesto,

For a born adventurer and wanderer like yourself, it'll be easy to make it the whole way, you just don't stop riding! And being from Argentina gives you a sense of scale that a lot of people from smaller countries don't have. To you, driving a few thousand kms up to BA is natural and can be done in a few days, for some, it would seem like the journey of a lifetime.

I did see a few guanacos, very cool looking creatures for us foreigners. I rode down ruta 3 for speed because I wanted to get down there before it got too late in season, but like most bikers really was looking forward to ruta 40. It was spectacular, and at that time of year, no tourists and almost no cars. You have to put up with the cold, but seeing Patagonia in slow season with almost no people on the road allows you to feel it better, but you know that much better than I. My only regret was that I didn't go twenty years ago before they started to pave the road. It's changing, which is good, but I sort of long for the old narrow roads that show much character of the land. I was riding quickly though, but I will definitely go back and explore more of the trails and tracks and roads, Argentina is a place that someone can go again and again...

RTW Motorcycling is offline   Reply With Quote