View Single Post
Old 07-11-2004, 10:41 AM   #3
Possu OP
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,208
Apologies for the crap map I added earlier

Anyway, the agenda for Saturday morning inc. some off road routes, courtesy of guidance from local TRF (Trail Riders Fellowship). There was a choice of two routes, one for novices but both were suitable for road tyre equipped bikes (Tourance/Anakee etc).

I chose the harder route, I found the going quite hard, especially as this was only my second time off road on the 1150GS & my previous off road experience was limited to hurting myself on a TY250 trials bike. A variety of bikes took part, inc. this:

Short coffee break held here:

Crashes were few, by some miracle I stayed the right way up

The scenery was classic England:

Jeff, riding an XTZ750 Super Tenere managed to get stung by an errant Wasp five times on his stomach & chest. Being allergic to stings, a quick diversion to the nearest village was required for the relevant medicines.

We continued, the sky threatened to rain but never did.

We merged briefly with another group before heading off to a nearby fuel station for a cold drink:

On the way home we passed through Matlock, I managed to get the camera out of the tankbag & take a few pics on the move:

Arrived back at the site nearly 6 hours after setting off, having covered 80 miles, of which about 40 were off road through the southern edges of the Peak District - a big thanks & to the TRF guys for taking the time to show us around the area.

Most people in attendance rode GS's, Africa Twins/Transalps, Yamaha twins & singles. No Varadero's, V-Stroms, Caponords or even Tigers?

Young Australian couple turned up on these, note the e/start & the generator style hand pull start They also travelled the Americas from top to bottom on these little Honda's

All in all, excellent weekend, I'll be attending next year & am looking forwards to it already. Place was full of people who've travelled the world, many interesting & modified bikes & an assortment of Germans, French, Dutch, Irish, Belgians, Kiwi's & Australians. Big thanks to those who organised a successful & well run event, especially Susan Johnson Grant was back home in BC keeping the Horizons site running.

Steve
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote