View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,131
Questor goes on a National Parks tour

Greetings everyone.

After years of dreaming of it, I'm finally going to do it.
After years of planning, obsessive research, and many smaller journeys, I'm going on a trip that I have long dreamed of doing.

For the past five or six years, I have dreamed of just packing up the stuff I need, and just hitting the road on the motorcycle. In the past year or so, I started making the necessary changes in my life that would enable me to do this, and it's all comming together.

I've done lots of research and came up with a list of National Parks, National Monuments, and State Parks I would like to see. (There's also a planned visit to a Titan Missile Base in AZ. and you all know how much I like Missile Silos. )

I've got routes for all the National Scenic Byways and Highways, like Bighorn Pass, programmed into the GPS and I'll try and ride them as well.

I've updated all my Garmin software, and got my hands on all the paper maps I could need. (Thanks Rider_grrl. )
I've added all the State Parks and KOA that lie near my route, and I have taken advantage of the "Tent Space List".
My poor GPS is stuffed.

This trip will be done on a tight budget.
I've got a set amount of $$$, and the more frugal I am, the longer I can stay on the road. I have no calendar end date set. (In the past I had a tight schedule to ahdhere to, and that limited the travel experience. This time I don't and I believe that will make a huge difference in terms of how this trip unfolds.)

The Garmin GPS says the loop is 10,000 miles.
I'm guessing the trip will take 4 to 6 weeks.

My approximate route looks like this.

EDIT (10-16-08) Here's a picture of the actual route I rode.
The additional sections into British Columbia and Idaho were worth it.

I'll do my best to keep an active Ride Report, but I plan to spend most nights camping to to save money, and as such I will probably not have Internet every evening. But I'll do my ADVrider best.

I leave tomorrow early am and ride from NW CT, to Huntsburg OH, (500 miles) where I've got a Tent Space set up with muddyrabbit. Thanks muddyrabbit . The next night I'm staying with a friend in Elgin, Il. (Another 500 miles day). Then onto the Badlands and Devils tower area.

By Sept 9th, I should be in Bozeman MT. After that I'll head up to Glacier NP, and try to ride the Highway to the Sun before they close it for repairs on the 15th.
After that, I'll head south to see my aunt in Colrado.

It would be great to meet some fellow ADV folks along the way.
Any local knowledge of my route would also be appreciated.

Wish me luck.
Q~

Questor screwed with this post 01-10-2009 at 08:06 AM
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote