View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
tele-steve OP
ya' mon

Oddometer: 266
...going and going.... day 3

We make the turn off of 278 towards Bannack State Park. Again, we consider stopping for the day, but the long vistas and gravel roads keep calling us south.
Now being the owner of the non-functioning GPS, G-man had the maps and took the lead. It was my turn to eat dust for a while....

I held back a half mile or so to I could avoid the rest of worst of it. I noticed my pace slowing down and enjoying the scenery more. Without having the GPS fixating my attention, I could relax and really take in more of the surroundings.

Cool barn...
From CDR-2008

Somewhere south of Grant...
From CDR-2008

From CDR-2008

By this point in the day, we had been on the road for close to 11 hours. I knew it was time to stop when I found myself yawning while going 40+mph on a washboard gravel road.
Heading south from Grant, after 18 miles or so, the road climbs to a saddle before heading down the Sheep Creek Valley towards Island Butte. This is the location of the well documented (in RR, anyways) sign talking about the 'Old Bannack Freight Road'. Greg stopped at the top to wait for me.
I rolled up, killed the engine, and there was silence.... no noise from cars, people, nothing.... there wasn't even any wind.

Now it was time to stop for the day....

From CDR-2008

We exploded our bags pulling out all of our wet and soggy items we stuffed away that morning near Stemple Pass. I was using dry bags for all my gear on this trip and one thing I learned as I pulled out my sopping wet tent, clothes, sleeping pad... is that the bags acted like a large steamer throughout the day. As the sun came out and warmed up the bags, all the moisture that was in the tent migrated and permeated everything else in there.
We hung every item we had on everything around us (bikes, fences, etc.). Thankfully Montana is full of places where exploding bags of wet gear won't bother anyone...

From CDR-2008

From CDR-2008

With camp settled in, we celebrated what an amazing, kick-ass, incredible, day it was....

From CDR-2008

We took a stroll up a point to get a better view of where we had been and were we were going....
Standing there silently taking in the views....

From CDR-2008

G-Man plotting our course for the next day...

From CDR-2008

Myself...

From CDR-2008

Looking back north, 2 objects down the valley to the north catch my eye. They are moving incredibly fast, very quiet, and close to the ground..... I yell at G-man to take a look. As I turn back to watch they are racing up the valley directly towards us....
It turns out to be 2 F-14 jet fighters, no more than 150 feet above the ground. We jump in the air as the buzz over our heads.
We could see the pilot looking down at us as he went by and then gave a little tip of the wings to us as he went past. The noise of these 2 huge planes quickly caught up with us and practically blew us over.

"Sure," we thought, "why not order in a fighter jet fly over to cap off the best f*cking day ever..."
tele-steve is offline   Reply With Quote