View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #298
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevreif
nice pics and report! had a quick question. i had someone tell me that you need to get different insurance to go south of the border, is this true? i'm planning a trip to panama and back and hadn't given it any thought. i just assumed that my insurance covered my bike anywhere i went. i wasn't sure if you had any issues with this or not. thanks.
Imagine that every country is a different planet as far as insurance companies go

US insurance (liability or comprehensive) is not valid outside of the US. Mexico requires you purchase liability insurance from a Mexican company (I paid something like $150 for a year from bajabound.com). Most countries in Central America have no insurance requirement and I don't bother. Nicaragua requires insurance and I bought it going north ($12usd) but not south (mostly by accident). Costa Rica requires you buy insurance as part of your border paperwork (around $15usd).

If you're worried about comprehensive insurance, you might be able to work that out with a US company that specializes in international insurance, but I wouldn't know how and I would expect it to be very expensive. Just be careful