As I've been piecing this thing together, the number of missing parts has been dwindling. Finally, the only thing left (other than wiring) that was preventing starting it was a lack of usable midpipe and muffler mount.
So, I decided to tackle that 2 mornings ago instead of doing what I should have been.
First step was concept:
Sure, that looks about right.
Here's the stainless stock I'd use to make the missing piece:
Next was figuring out how much angle I needed to make up:
I'm not qualified to weld stainless, so I took the part over to Junior of Beauchamp Restoration. Here's the '57 Ferrari he's rebuilding from the ground up:
A craftsman of the highest order, he put my pipe together in no time at all, for beer.
The finished product:
I've skipped a ton of steps in here, so over the next couple weeks I'll go back and fill in. In the meantime, I'm over the moon with this thing- such a neat machine!