View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #1
DRZ400SK4 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
The Forgotten Coast

There aren't very many roads on the Island of Newfoundland that I haven't ridden, in the past year and a half, on my trusty V-Strom. But there was one area of the province I had never been to in my entire life, let alone on a motorcycle...

The South Coast

There's basically two ways to get to the central part of the southern coast of Newfoundland, from St. John's. One way is to ride down the Burin Peninsula, put your bike on a deck hoist, and ride the Rencontre ferry out of Bay L'Argent, to Pool's Cove. Or you can take the long way around and ride the TCH to Bishop Falls, and then the Bay d' Espoir Highway right through the centre of the island. I took the long way this weekend, both there and back.

I figured my 40th lighthouse point in the Lighthouse Trophy Photo Game, had better be a good one. Or at least one of some significance and distance away. The closest one I could find (of which I didn't already have a photo) and that I could reach on an over-nighter, was 'Rocky Point' lighthouse, at Harbour Breton. So off I went, iron butt at the ready.

The best part of the trip was the simple pleasure of exploring an area of the island that I had never been to, and lucking in to beautiful riding weather for the whole journey.

I met some interesting people. A young couple with a new house at the very end of the road in Harbour Breton, who told me about the trail I could ride down to get close to the Rocky Point lighthouse. The friendly owner of the Southern Port Hotel, who was a wealth of knowledge about the area. And a guy who built a life-size replica of a lighthouse, as his home.

The 'Coast of Bays' area, as it's known, has to be one of the most spectacular areas of the province, second only to the Gros Morne and Bonne Bay region of the West Coast, in my opinion. And in many ways it looks a lot like the Bonne Bay/Gros Morne area, as you ride through it. The mountains and fijords are mind-blowing, as you descend from the high-country barrens, down toward sea level.

Total trip distance, door to door, was 1400 kms in about 30 hours.

South Coast Detailed Map

Here's some shots and a map of my route...

Ah yes, this must be the way...

Hmmm...This is a seriously remote area to travel through...

The Rocky Point lighthouse at Harbour Breton...

A local inhabitant of English Harbour West...

Cape 'Josh' (My kinda house!)...

Harbour Breton area coastline...

Got twisties? Oh yes! The road to St. Jacques...

Rocky Point...

On the trail to the lighthouse...

The entire region is like this to ride through...

On the trail at dusk...

Something to see around every corner...

Strom at the beach...

Sunday morning's quiet beauty...

My route map...

My Photos In Google Earth

DRZ400SK4 screwed with this post 10-01-2008 at 04:47 AM
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote