View Single Post
Old 07-30-2004, 04:31 PM   #104
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,760
Day Eight

Early morning at Gold Lake and the mosquitoes were still biting and we were still hungry. I kind of thought the trail along Gold Lake to the north end would be easy. It was more of the same big ass rocks. We were definitely having fun, but my poor bike was taking a real beating. It would certainly help it I learned to ride it better….

Today we would head north through Quincy, Lake Almanor and on to Lassen National Park.

After a short leg north on Hwy89 we turned onto Johnsville Rd through the Plumas Eureka State Park. Continuing through to the west the road becomes very remote and scenic. Perfect GS terrain, rocky but not to rough to make reasonable time. Maybe, I was just feeling good that morning, but this was one of my favorite stretches. After 20 or so miles it connects with La Porte Rd., a fresh, twisty asphalt, forest road through the Feather River valley that I've ridden a number of other times. We made it to Quincy for a 10am breakfast. Not a bad start.

From Quincy we took Buck's Lake Rd. and then cut north on a small dirt track in an effort to reconnect with SR70 along the Feather River. It took a number of wrong turns, dead ends and crossings to get it right.

Approaching the highway we paused for a fun photo with the train and crew who happened to be hanging about.

Just off of Caribou Rd. we made another dramatic climb out of the river gorge and onto a ridge line. (Humbug Rd. I think). At the top was a recent burn. It must have been a hot fire not more than a couple of years ago.

We rejoined 89 and headed through Lassen National Park. Spectacular, as always….

More snow than I would have expected for July.

North of Lassen there were a couple of lava bed trails that traced the PCT. Cool stuff, but not easy to ride through. Lava turns to pumice rather easily in places. We pitched camp at Hat Creek and then persuaded a closed restaurant to reopen. They obliged by making some great burgers. The campground was nearly deserted.

R-dubb

R-dubb screwed with this post 07-30-2004 at 04:39 PM
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote