View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #75
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider
I get goosebumps reading this, and looking at the pics. I think the produce truck driver said(to the rescuers) it was the glare on his windsheild, from the midnight sun.....It was'nt midnight, but anyways thats what impaired his vision, and the soft shoulder pulled him over.
I was about 40 km ahead of you when I turned back. I waited a long time at a nice spot to get a photo of the bike approaching, and you never appeared. I got to enjoy that section of road again!
I am glad you took so many photos. I took way less. I distinctly remember seeing the curve of the earth at the top end of Canada, just before we descended into the Beaufort Delta and the Peel River crossing. This ride has been one of the best I have ever done. The way back was really spectacular too. I am glad we had the good weather and were able to kick back in Inuvik for 3 days and really enjoy the time there.
I'm glad you were there to share the experince, bud - and thanks for the input re: Mr. Upside Down Truck Driver!

Here's our campsite in Inuvik

I didn't get much sleep that first night 'cos it was cold, and the drunks were hootin' and hollerin' all night.

Our plan at that stage was to spend one full day there and rest, then head back south. We had both heard horror stories about what happens to the Dempster when it rains lots, and didn't want to get caught up in that shit.

Some pics from in and around the town

During the day heckto went to the library to use the net, and checked up on the weather forecast. He said it was just peachy and suggested that we stay another day and rest while we knew we had a window. Very good call, as we both needed it, and that's what we did.

That evening I met my friend Eli for a bit to eat.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote