View Single Post
Old 08-02-2004, 06:44 PM   #38
SKWERL
Squirrelly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
A bit behind in posting, but....

Well, JimC & L2L are doing a great job on this and I don't have much to add, but I might chime in with a few pics when they are done (since they would be out of sequence). I just setup a SmugMug account and have uploaded a few pics.

I was definitely a dirt nOOb when I started this trip and was grateful for the patience the other riders had with my more 'sedate' pace. On the first day around Whitefish, I wouldn't have been surprised if a fast moving bicyclist had passed me! If you would have told me that after a few days I'd be chasing L2L (in vain) down a nice dirt road at 70+ (and loving it!) I'd have told you that you were insane!

On the other hand, I think we actually took more pictures in the segments when I was in front!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atavist
Great photos and terrific report!
2. Was the radiator failure on RCrabb's F650 the old "rock caught behind the radiator" thing or something else.
Thanks. DJR
When my radiator developed its leak, we used some radiator leak-stop that worked well for the trip. When I got back home, I asked my mechanic to look it over--it took a while for him to find the leak, and it wasn't really conclusive what caused it--there was not any obvious damage front/rear, so we weren't sure if it was a rock or perhaps a defect or fracture. Bike had approx 7k miles on it when the leak occurred. I decided to replace the radiator instead of having it patched. Other damage was minor, a broken spring mount on the sidestand and a rear mudguard/chainguard that disassembled itself somewhere in NV.

bryan "still a dirt nOOb"
2000 BMW R1150GS
IBA# 5818
SKWERL is offline   Reply With Quote