View Single Post
Old 08-02-2004, 07:04 PM   #39
luv2lean OP
not lost til out of gas

Oddometer: 968
Day 8 started off by skipping some paved bicycle trail between Dillon and Breckenridge. I pleaded, but capt nemo wouldnt let me do it.
So off to 1150 ft Boreas pass instead. The sun was out, and the ground was wet YEEHAAAW

And down the other side

More 8000 ft high plains between Hartsell and Salida with remnants of old civilization

We came upon on one of our biggest challenges here. The mud was deep, gooey, and we I could see us getting quickly stuck up to the axles here. So we went upstream to cross and I barely made it out of the creekbed with the gripsters on my FULLY loaded airhead. It would have meant significant back tracking if we didnt cross this creek.

Shortly thereafter we had to skate through some snotty mud sections with our leg poles out. But then we climbed up into the trees in the Pke National Forest.

And dropped down towards Salida, Colorado

10 miles or so up a dirt road towards Marshall pass we hit a road closed - bridge out sign and had to backtrack to the paved road and take hwy 50 over 11312 foot Monarch Pass to get back to the dirt. Not such a bad option.

More dirt roads headed towards the Gunnision National Forest. They sure have a lot of National Forests in the Rockies!

Over 10,166 Carnero Pass and on towards Del Norte. It's starting to look like New Mexico to me, but I have never been there.

It was getting late, started raining and the directions were confusing as we approached Del Norte. After a few wrong turns, exploring a short knarly section of sandwash we thought was the trail, but werent sure, we finally decided to bypass the last 5 miles or so into Del Norte.

We were real close to our destination of New Mexico, but a significant storm was in our way. We decided to stay in Del Norte and take an extra day if needed to make it to Chama, New Mexico. Jim had to be back in Sacto within 2 days, 3 days max, and the bike trail maps farther south had impassable in wet weather warnings. Considering the weather had been unusually wet for July we were gonna be satisfied with Chama New Mexico -- this time.

luv2lean screwed with this post 08-02-2004 at 08:50 PM
luv2lean is offline   Reply With Quote