View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,206
If anyone else wants to do their own state . . .

This site contains about 138,000 waymarks worldwide. You can sort them and find lists of state historical markers. Most states in the upper midwest are included.
http://www.waymarking.com/cat/search...ical%20markers

The markers in the above site have good coordinates and usually have a picture. However, this is not a complete list of markers. You need to search your state historical society (or other agency that manages the markers) to find a complete list.

The historical society list may only have a marker name and a brief location description. You will have to estimate the waypoint until a firm coordinate can be obtained.

There are other sites on the web that list the markers but there is probably not a complete list on the web as things change. I think I was short about 75 markers that were not posted to the web.

Also, there may be a book published about the markers in your state. There was one in WI that I located through the state historical society.

PM if you are interested in taking on a project for your state and have questions about my experience.

Edit: Wow, I just looked at Michigan and see about 1,300 markers listed.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 10-13-2008 at 09:34 AM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote