View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 06:43 AM   #9
DRZ400SK4 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
Quote:
I'm guessing that the front of the aircraft is smashed beyond recognition because I don't see any shots.
I've heard mixed versions of the reasons why there are no large pieces of the fuselage, the wings, or any of the big piston engines left at the site...

Stories range from the US military removing most of it, to locals pillaging the crash site for pieces of the plane and valuable metals.

Quote:
Any sign of fire or was the fuel load depleted after the long journey over the ocean?
No sign of fire at all, which is odd, since the crash caused a huge explosion upon impact, which was seen by loggers from miles away. I'm guessing that this debris field is a long way down from the original point of impact.

Quote:
as a testament to the construction and materials of that aircraft, think for a moment what you have, that you could leave exposed to all the elements for over 55 years! I am amazed!
This is something which really struck me, too. I tried to take a close up of a couple of fuel-line fittings on the J47 jet engine in the photo above, but they came out blurry. They were in as perfect condition as the day they were installed on the engine. They looked to be made of a VERY high-quality nickel alloy. This aircraft most definitely had the absolute finest quality parts and materials that the late forties and early fifties era could supply.

My Photos In Google Earth

DRZ400SK4 screwed with this post 10-15-2008 at 06:50 AM
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote